Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Learning how to be the blessing

Learning how to be a blessing to others isn't the easiest task, that's for sure. Teaching others to be the blessing is even more difficult. Why? We are selfish beings. Our thoughts are (typically) consumed with "I" thoughts. What would I like to eat for lunch? How can I save myself money? What kind of new dining room table would I like? What kind of vacation would I like to take this year? What kind of new car would I like to drive? Etc....the list goes on! 

There's not really anything wrong with thinking about ourselves.  God has blessed us with the provisions we have, the jobs we work at to earn income,  and even our homes. Those things are all good. However, dare I say, I think as a society our thoughts are too frequently consumed with ourselves, and not nearly enough for our struggling "neighbor". 
Photo Credit: http://14-in-2014.com/2014/03/be-a-blessing-to-others/

Romans 15:2 says, "We should help others, do what is right, and build them up in the Lord"

Luke 6:30 states, "Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back."

This is definitely my own inference here, but to me this is as if God is saying, "If they need it that bad, then let them take it!" At least that's been my own attitude towards circumstances when I was wronged. However, the message is clear that Christ wants us to help our fellow brothers who are in need.

Christ raises the bar even further,  by challenging us not to just give to those in need, and help a struggling brother---but to pray for, help, and give to our enemies and those that hurt us.

Luke 6:32-36 says, "If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners love those who love them. And if you do good to those who are good to you, what credit it that to you? Even sinners do that. And if you lend to those from whom you expect repayment, what credit is that to you? Even sinners lend to sinners, expecting to be repaid in full. But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back."

Now....teaching this to your kids is a whole new ball game. Why? Your kids are sinners. That sweet little, innocent looking, adorable child that is your own blood and flesh is really quite sinful, and ugly inside. Don't believe me? Check out Psalm 51:5. It says, "Surely I was sinful at birth, sinful from the time my mother conceived me." Yup. There it is. Our sweet little "innocent' children aren't so innocent. They don't have to be taught to deceive. Just ask that 2-year old who took the veggies on her plate and hid them from mom, so she could have dessert. Or, that 8 month old that is now mobile helping himself to anything around the house that he might like--- and throwing a tantrum when you won't let him chew on electrical chords because they are "his". 

Kids are selfish. By nature we are all selfish. We spend the rest of our lives trying to learn how to be unselfish and giving. We perhaps sponsor a child in need, or tithe at church. Maybe we spend part of our valuable time visiting the elderly or sick, or maybe cook a meal for a family in need. They are all little things---but, I can tell you from experience it's not easy. Which is funny---because giving is actually enjoyable! I truly get joy from giving to others, and seeing them reap the benefits. So, why is it so hard?  It all goes back to the sin. Its easier to go plop down on the couch after work and relax watching a movie rather than cooking a meal for someone in need. It's easy to say, "I'm just too busy" with my kids, to take time and visit with the elderly folks who don't have any family. We make up all kinds of excuses in our minds! I do it too---goodness knows I'm not immune to this!

Paul says in Romans 7:15, "I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do" 

Even Paul realized the struggle that exists within us because of our sin nature. He had good intentions---but didn't always do good. He continues on in verses 18 and 19 to say, "For I know that good itself does not swell in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do--- this I keep on doing."

But, to teach our kids how to give and help others---we have to model it. I'm convinced the old saying, "Do as I say, not as I do" is terribly incorrect. Kids DO as their parent's DO. If you want your kids to learn how to give, model it. You can tell them all day long, and it won't have the impact on them like physically doing it yourself. If you make a habit of it, your kids will pick up on that.  Just like if you use foul language, your kids will pick up on that too.  Especially when they are little, they are learning so much from you! 

I have tried modeling giving to those in need to my kids. My daughter is particularly at the age where she is beginning to realize the world doesn't revolve around her. This past winter I hit a major bargain----I found 58 packages of Pampers diapers marked 75% off! Those of you who know me, know I LOVE me some good bargain shopping--- and this was an amazing deal. I think I ended up paying around $100 for over 1,500 diapers. Those of you who dont have kids reading this might think that's a crazy amount of diapers----it's not. LOL Especially with 2 in diapers! :) Anyways-- 2 days after my big buy, I heard on the radio that locally our town was collecting diapers to give to families in need. My first reaction? I'm embarrassed to say this, but it was, "But I need these diapers for MY kids....why should I give them away when I just scored a HUGE sale that will save us hundreds of dollars???" After some thinking, I realized these diapers were an unexpected blessing from God, and God was now showing me a need. So....I need to fill it. I prayed about it, and God did change my heart. We decided to give away 1/3 of all of the diapers I was able to find that day. We were still abundantly blessed---but now several families would be blessed by our giving. In fact, when my daughter went with me to the drop-off location, I was so filled with joy as she helped me carry in a couple dozen packages of diapers. It may not have been much, but we were able to do a little good for some families in need. We were blessed---and we were then able to be a blessing to others. How awesome is that?!

I tell you this story not to boast on my behalf.  Goodness knows there are plenty of other times when my sin and selfishness have influenced me to make poor decisions. But giving is much like exercising. You feel better after you do it, but it takes some effort, pain, and training to get yourself in shape to where giving becomes easier, more natural, and eventually second nature!

If you a reading this, I have a challenge for you. Let's try and make the world a little better place this week by helping someone in need. Maybe do the grocery shopping for an elderly couple, or mow the yard for a widow in need. Visit the cancer center of a hospital, and read to those receiving treatments. Bless someone underprivileged with a gift card to a grocery store, or babysit the kids of a couple you know so they can have a nice private dinner together. If you don't know of a need, pray for one. I am convinced God will show you a need you can fulfill without searching far and wide. There are people around us every day that need help, so let's make a difference this week in someone's life. Let us be a blessing to others! Have a great week everyone!





No comments:

Post a Comment