Tuesday, March 18, 2014

A look at sheep, a humbling view...

We had our ewes sheared off for the summer a few days ago.  Our shearer is a great guy. He raises a few sheep for his kids to show, and is involved with the breed association; but mainly he just loves to shear. Fine by me---now a mother of two (and with far less efficient equipment) I will gladly let someone else do the honors. He told me this past weekend his record for shearing one completely out was 37 seconds! Yup, I'd say he qualified. Of course when he comes and shears for us, we end up talking about the next greatest buck out there, or his new method of using CIDR's for Thanksgiving lambs----and we take WAY more time than 37 seconds per ewe.  But that's okay. He's still far more efficient than myself. 

 So, how much do you know about sheep? Well, having raised them since I was 15, I feel that I have been around them enough to have a pretty good perception of how a sheep acts. If I had to sum them up, taking one word to describe them, "dumb" would be my word of choice.  

They are stubborn, they are ignorant, they are anything but smart. While a typical mother (of any animal specie) will stand and protect their young---- a mother ewe will turn and run at the first sight danger (or slight leaf blowing in the breeze), usually trampling their lambs in the process. Dig a hole....if a sheep falls in, what will it do? Lay down and die. Yup. It says, "Well, it's been a nice life, but this 3 foot deep hole is insurmountable, so I give up." Even Christ eludes to this fact in Matthew 12:11! Yup, God is well aware sheep and holes don't mix!

“If any of you has a sheep and it falls into a pit on the Sabbath, will you not take hold of it and lift it out?"

Sheep are followers, hence the term 'flocking'. They have a flocking instinct which in many ways make them easier to handle if you know how to work them as a group. They go wherever the sheep in front of them goes. And where does the sheep in front go? Well.....usually where the sheep in the back goes (or at least to familiar territory-- they don't go far)!.  Rarely do you ever get a sheep that goes out on its own.  If there is one alone by choice you can almost bet it is either in labor, or is very ill. 

They hate water. If there is half an inch of water separating them from the only food source available, unless the whole flock decides to make huge leap over the stream, they will sit there and starve. People ask me, "But the sheep that you've worked with for years--the ones that know you, don't they come up to you in the barn or at the fence line?" No. They run away.  Why? They are sheep. Yes, they absolutely know me. Yes, they know I'm the one that feeds them, takes care of them, and has worked with them. What do they do? They still run away. Sometimes can I get them to approach me if I clank a bucket and feed scoop together, as curiosity gets the best of them. Otherwise they follow the flock---which is away from me, their shepherd. Away from their caretaker, their source of shelter, their provider for everything they have. The one that treats them and heals them when they are ill, the one who makes sure they are accounted for.  They run the opposite direction.



Now.  What does God say about us in regards to sheep? After this humbling look at their behavior, you may not want to know! God calls US sheep! Yes! Are we really that dumb, ignorant, stubborn? Yes. In fact I think we give ourselves a lot more credit for "knowing" all we claim we know and have figured out about this life. 

In Ezekiel 34:31 God addresses us specifically as sheep. He puts us in our place (rightfully so) reminding us that He is the sovereign Lord, and we are but lowly sheep.

"You are my sheep, the sheep of my pasture, and I am your God, declares the Sovereign Lord."

After what you just read about sheep, doesn't that humble you a bit? It does me! However in Ezekiel 34:11-12 Christ reminds us that although we are sheep, and he is our shepherd, he looks after, and cares for his flock. 

"I myself will search for my sheep and look after them. As a shepherd looks after his scattered flock when he is with them, so will I look after my sheep. I will rescue them from all the places where they were scattered on a day of clouds and darkness."


So if we have given ourselves to Christ, He will never leave us! How amazingly comforting is that notion! Though we are ignorant beyond all recollection, and continue to stray away from him, we are the flock under his care.In fact, there are so many verses relating us to sheep I would have to put half the Bible in here to quote them all. Below are a few more of my choice verses related to this topic.


Isaiah 53:6

"We all, like sheep, have gone astray, each of us has turned to our own way; and the Lord has laid on him, the iniquity of us all"

Psalm 119:176

"I have strayed like a lost sheep. Seek your servant for I have not forgotten your commands."

Psalm 100:2-4

"Worship the Lord with gladness, come before him with joyful songs. Know that the Lord is God. It is he who made us, and we are his; we are his people, the sheep of his pasture."

Zechariah 10:2
"The idols speak deceitfully, diviners see visions that lie; they tell dreams that are false, they give comfort in vain. Therefore the people wander like sheep oppressed for lack of a shepherd."

John 10:1-3

“Very truly I tell you Pharisees, anyone who does not enter the sheep pen by the gate, but climbs in by some other way, is a thief and a robber. The one who enters by the gate is the shepherd of the sheep. The gatekeeper opens the gate for him, and the sheep listen to his voice. He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out.
John 10:7
"Therefore Jesus said again, Very truly I tell you, I am the gate for the sheep."

John 10:9
"I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved."

John 10:11
“I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep."

John 10:14-15
"I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me— just as the Father knows me and I know the Father—and I lay down my life for the sheep."

I could literally go on and on with verses about us being God's sheep. But, I think I've made the point pretty clear that God sees us as sheep, and He our shepherd. 

This is a notion I try and keep in mind as I care for my own earthly flock on the farm. How easily it is to become frustrated with these animals when you are legitimately trying to help them--- and they make the situation worse.  How often does God see us this way? Here we are trying to help ourselves, make our lives better, more efficient, take care of our own problems when all along God is gently saying, "Let me help you." but we fail to take the life preserver. We get caught up in our own daily lives (I'm so guilty of this!) and fail to allow our caretaker to heal our wounds, rejuvenate, restore and lead us in a way we are not able. 

This week I hope to make a point to lean a little more on God, and a lot less on myself. Because left on their own, sheep are pretty helpless....aren't they?


No comments:

Post a Comment